Day 9 Tuesday 28 July 2026
436km today from Cocklebiddy to Norseman with a stop at Balladonia. Balladonia's claim to fame is that sometime in the 1970s the US Skylab plunged back to earth in the Balladonia area. The roadhouse there has a piece of the Skylab in its museum either kindly donated to them by NASA or stolen by the locals when NASA wasn't looking. I am staying at the Balladonia roadhouse on the return journey so I will expand a little on this on the return journey.
I am currently typing this in the motel/hotel/caravan park dining room and the table next to me is occupied by approximately 10 middle aged ladies or more likely elder ladies who appear to be on some sort of road trip and at 5.40pm are already getting rowdy. They even have pink trip caps.
The road trip today included a drive along longest piece of straight road in at least Australia. The straight is 91 miles in the old language and 146.6km in the new. Even then it is only a couple of very minor bends that prevent it going for at least another 100km or so. Even out in the middle of nowhere there is no rubbish on the side or the roads, no potholes and sadly no camels, either dromadary or bacchanalian.
This is getting difficult the light is dim, the ladies are getting noisier and I am on my second bottle (small) of Coopers Best Extra Stout.
So off to Kalgoorlie tomorrow more adventures to follow.
Well you have no doubt heard about the big events in Victoria today! There is a bloke with his own youtube channel and he posts visual blogs similar to this and it’s based on road trips around Australia using public transport. Recently he has been to Broken Hill, Mildura, Wilcannia, Swan Hill, Albury, Melbourne, Sydney. Staying in Pubs and Motels. Most trips cost him a couple of dollars as a Pensioner.-More trouble than it’s worth if you ask me! I’d much rather do it by car as like yourself.
ReplyDeleteEnjoying the blog. The famous 90 Mile Straight would be impressive. Perhaps you could try the world’s longest next? ( Saudi Arabia's record-holding stretch between Haradh and Al Batha).
ReplyDeleteBut one would have to go to Saudi Arabia to do that!
DeleteRowdy middle aged ladies? I know nothing of this species...
ReplyDeleteHow are the levels of dust in and on your vehicle? Must be thirsty work.
I don't think that I know any middle aged ladies, but some a bit older can certainly get a bit rowdy.
Delete