Day 39 Thursday 27 August 2026
I told you this would happen, shorts yesterday, and cold, wet blustery today!
A couple of other peculiarities from this corner of the Commonwealth. If you go into a bar and ask for a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon the bar tender will look at you with some bewilderment, but if you ask for a SBS he or she will happily provide you with a glass of the aforementioned Sauvignon Blanc Semillon. Is it called SBS anywhere apart from WA? It is even listed on wine lists as SBS, go figure.
The second thing also to do with wine is nine times out of ten if you ask for a glass of white wine you will be asked if you want ice in the drink. Understandable in the middle of summer sitting out on deck somewhere but this is in the middle of winter and although not quite as cold as Melbourne still not summery.
Overcast with a maximum of 16, very strong winds and rain squalls and heavy seas. But I did persist with the shorts!
There is the top bit of a decommissioned wind turbine on display in front of the local museum. Although this is interesting in its own right the really interesting bit is this. According to the information board next to the turbine this was decommissioned after only 15 years of operation and the entire wind farm only operated for 30 years.
Does this mean that the life span of individual turbines is 15 years and wind farms 30 years? Would someone like to tell me how long a coal fired or nuclear powered generator lasts, I bet it is more than 15 years.
Now here is something you don't see in town every day of the week. It is an ex army Leopard MTB (Main Battle Tank). They tell me that the WA govt is quietly acquiring military ordinance to be used if the Commonwealth Govt tries to take away the huge amounts of GST that WA receives.
| This is just a rock with a hole in it. |
Finally found a bar in Corsica and caught up on yiu fascinating, partly accurate but highly informative blog. I hope I can post my missing 14 days soon.
ReplyDeleteIf anybody could find a bar in Corsica that would be you.
DeleteLike Roger, I too have returned from the land of Bintangs and caught up on your highly informative blog although I must say, a little offensive at times. We have had this discussion on numerous occasions but let me refresh your memory. I reverse into carparks (usually one attempt) because carparks are now built to accommodate the size of motor bikes. Trying to reverse out of a motor bike carpark onto a road the width of a mini minor takes me multiple attempts with a series of not too friendly comments. So I am a reverse parker and proud of it.
ReplyDeleteI also didn't walk the entire Busselton Jetty because I wanted to experience the train ride first then do the return walk. See you did miss something on your journey, the wonderful train ride with commentary.
As for admitting that you drink SBS in the first place, well that's definitely worthy of future comment from me at a later time.
As for complaining about detours, you haven't lived until you have been in a taxi in Bali. Detours are normal. Footpaths, one way streets the wrong way, laneways built for pedestrians used by cars are all the norm. Luckily I had my manicure upon landing knowing full well, long fingernail marks on the dash will cost me more money at the end of the journey.
I also feel like I have not seen nor heard enough about the ill fated vessel SS Georgette. You mention a passenger list, did you see your relatives name or was it behind glass. I am sure your camera with the busted flash took a photo or did you run out of film again.
You may ask why has it taken me two weeks to reply to your blog, that's a very good question.
And yes, it's damn cold in Melb.
As you know I call it as I see it. More to follow on the fate of SS Georgette and the fate of my ancestors.
DeleteICE in white wine should be a crime
ReplyDelete