Days 41 42 & 43 Saturday Sunday & Monday 29 30 & 31 August 2026 and Day 44 Tuesday 01 September 2026

A bit of a hiatus with old blog over the last few days, mainly big driving days so not a lot to report.  

They have done it to me again.  Let me explain, a long time ago I did a number of road trips to the US with my friends Jon & Clair.  Being on a bit of a budget we often stayed in tourist class motels, generally pretty good but often interesting.  Well, seeing how we liked a drink with our dinner we always got a bit excited when then motel advertised bar & dining room on site.  That meant that neither Jon or I had to drive to dinner which meant we had to careful with our drinking.  As an aside Clair never drove on any of these trips she used to sit in the back seat of the car in a nest of paper maps, guide books, macca wrappers, empty Pepsi cans and peach smelling hand cream.  Anyway back to the story, imagine our disappointment when we checked into the motel and asked for directions to the bar/restaurant only to be told the bar/restaurant was closed for renovations, hadn't been open for years or closed after a visit from the health department.  This happened so many times we ended up being surprised when said bar/restaurant was actually open.

So when I checked into my motel in Port Pirie this arvo I noted a pleasant dining room and a cosy little bar.  Asked the pleasant receptionist what time said bar & restaurant opened and she told me that they are both closed on Sunday & Monday.  That was like deju vu all over again.  The receptionist suggested a sports bar down the road which coincidently was where Jon, Clair & myself often ended up, not that sports bar but at a sports bar.

I have now relocated to Sporties sports bar for rehydration after my drive and some dinner.

Distances covered in the last few days;

    Esperance to Balladonia         399km    

    Balladonia to Eucla                   519km

    Eucla to Ceduna                        492km

    Ceduna to Port Pirie                    559km

    Port Pirie to Adelaide                220km

So far on this trip I have driven over 7,000km.

On this trip the most I have paid for fuel has been $2.80 a litre at Nullarbor roadhouse on the way to WA.

So I didn't get the blog finished last night so I have set a little time aside today to bring it up to date.

Imagine my excitement last night at Sporties sports bar and fine dining when I discovered included on the menu was a pasta carbonaro.  The ingredients in a carbonara sauce have been the point of some discussion amongst myself and a group of friends, some of whom condsider themselves to be at the height of epicurean knowledge, legends in their own lunchtimes one might say.  I have always maintained that a carbonara sauce contains cream and I produced much evidence to support this.  My foodie friends likewise maintain that carbonara sauce doesn't contain cream, although little or no evidence has been provided to support this.


Gentle reader look carefully and closely at the photo of the Sporties Sports Bar & Fine Dining Emporium menu and what do we see in the contents of the carbonara sauce, why of course it is cream!  The chef there has come all the way from Pakistan so he should know what goes into a carbonara sauce.

These long drives were great, not much radio reception so lots of singalongs with my downloaded Spotify collection.  I have seen one camel so far and he was a little bit stuffed and staying in the museum at Balladonia.  The scenery is magnificent, the deep blue sea on one side and snow capped mountains on the other and then flat, broad plains of the Nullarbor.  You see it like this and realise it really is a big country.  The Americans call their high prairies the "big sky country", well they ought to do the trip across the Nullarbor if they want to see real big sky.

Very tired camel at Balladonia

Scenic caravan park Balladonia

Piece of Skylab recovered in the Balladonia area

On my return journey across the Nullarbor I have once again come across the scourge of the Australian outback, no not the wascally wabbit or the cunning fox or the ugly cane toad but the old enemy the Grey Nomad.  There is a group of grey nomads I havent mentioned yet and these are the ones that think it is funny and clever to give their caravan a jaunty name which is written in big letters across the back of their van.  One I remember quite clearly, was "Ruffin' It".  I remember it clearly cause I was stuck behind at 80km for a loooooong time and I found the spelling and grammar offensive.

One good thing about the return journey is that I got to see the whales again.  There wasn't as many at the Head of the Bight as when I previously visited but they seemed to be a bit more active.  I had my new camera and my big lens so I think these pics are a bit better than the last lot.

Mother & calf, mum has just cleared her blowhole




Mother & calf again

Young whale flopping back in the water after breaching, you could hear the noise like a belly flop when it hit the water.

I have included a couple of pics of the Nullarbor, so that you can see why the call it the Nullarbor.

Escarpment in the background

Road heading west from Eucla

Big sky country

Amazing cloud formations

After passing more canola fields (acres of em) I have arrived safely in Adelaide and checked into my hotel.  This is like a proper hotel with a bar and restaurant that is open, wifi with enough oomph to post pics to the blog and indoor plumbing.  It might be too comfortable for me I might have roll my swag out on the floor to get a good night's sleep.

I have three days in Adelaide with nothing in particular to do, a visit to the SA Maritime Museum maybe, tram ride to Glenelg for lunch and whatever else catches my fancy.

Might have some pasta for dinner tonight, now what sauce should I have?




Comments

  1. The Wifi is really working well. Good to see some photos and yes, carbonara does have cream in it and yes your Pakistani chef would definitely know it had cream in it seeing as how Pakistan is so close to Italy, I am sure recipes are exchanged especially how to cook camel and goat, with cream of course.

    However I do think the statement you make about looking at the deep blue ocean on one side and snow capped mountains on the other, might be worthy of a challenge. I am not sure the 'mountains' you refer to are actually high enough to have snow on them. Yes if it was really cold it might have a light dusting of frost, maybe snow but to say they were snow capped might have been just a little overstated or your view was obscured by some white bird droppings on the passenger window. I am happy to be corrected though with photographic evidence and the name of said mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment about the snow covered mountains was to see how observant my readers are. So far only one person has noticed and that as expected is the trained observer. Well done. And thanks for your support in the carbonara discussion.

      Delete
  2. I know your comments about Carbonara are to elicit responses so well done. But there are two things Dads should tell their sons and daughters. Firstly Crayfish live in freshwater. All others from the sea are lobsters. So, there you go.
    Secondly. Carbonara does NOT have cream. It's an Italian recipe. So let's ask the Italians, eh?

    The authoritative "official" recipe codified by the Accademia Italiana della Cucina (The Italian Academy of Cuisine). This academy was established in 1953 to safeguard culinary traditions and has been recognized as an official Cultural Institution of the Italian Republic since 2003. Ingredients for pasta Carbonara:
    Pasta: Long durum wheat pasta, traditionally spaghetti.
    Pork: Guanciale (cured pork cheek).
    Egg: Egg yolks only.
    Cheese: Pecorino Romano.
    Seasoning & Fat: Freshly ground black pepper, salt, olive oil, and surprisingly, garlic (used strictly to flavor the oil before being removed).
    The Strict Non-Negotiables
    While individual households and modern Roman chefs debate the exact ratio of whole eggs to yolks, or whether to blend Pecorino Romano with Parmigiano-Reggiano, the official Italian stance is explicitly absolute about what cannot go into a carbonara:
    No Cream: The creamy texture must come entirely from the emulsification of egg yolks, rendered pork fat, cheese, and starchy pasta cooking water.
    No Butter or Oil Substitutes: The fat base must come from the rendered guanciale.
    No Onions or Peas: Adding vegetables or aromatics beyond the historical touch of garlic violates the traditional definition.
    But you knew that, didn't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaa, if the above was supplied by the Accademia........it would have been written in Italian, not English! Hoisted on your own petard, whatever that means! Although I do enjoy peas in my carbonara, and a little onion wouldn't go astray.

      Delete
  3. I translated this from the Italian. Jo can check it was accurate as my restaurant and railway Italian is a bit rusty!
    La ricetta autorevole "ufficiale" codificata dall'Accademia Italiana della Cucina. Questa accademia è stata fondata nel 1953 per salvaguardare le tradizioni culinarie ed è riconosciuta come Istituzione Culturale ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana dal 2003. Ingredienti per la pasta alla carbonara: Pasta: pasta di grano duro, tradizionalmente spaghetti. Maiale: Guanciale (guancia di maiale stagionata). Uovo: Solo tuorli d'uovo. Formaggio: Pecorino Romano. Condimenti e grassi: pepe nero appena macinato, sale, olio d'oliva e, sorprendentemente, aglio (usato rigorosamente per insaporire l'olio prima di essere rimosso). I rigorosi non negoziabili Mentre singole famiglie e chef romani moderni discutono il rapporto esatto tra uova intere e tuorli, o se mescolare Pecorino Romano con Parmigiano-Reggiano, la posizione ufficiale italiana è esplicitamente assoluta su cosa non può entrare in una carbonara: Senza crema: La consistenza cremosa deve derivare interamente dall'emulsionazione di tuorli d'uovo, grasso di maiale fuso, formaggio e acqua di cottura per pasta amidacea. Nessun sostituto di burro o olio: La base grassa deve provenire dal guanciale fuso. Niente cipolle o piselli: Aggiungere verdure o aromi oltre il tocco storico dell'aglio viola la definizione tradizionale.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog